Pages

Sunday, November 7, 2021

Widgets

Garden Roundup Plus Tomatoes & Beans

 After all the weather drama of the past two weeks, it has now settled down to some pleasant days with the odd thunderstorm as expected today and tomorrow. I have been doing a fair bit of weeding and planting new crops. I also fell over, going up our wobbly steps, which threw me out a bit, scratched my face and glasses, and sore muscles, so have been very pleased with the ability to sit on the edge of my beds, so highly recommend anyone making raised beds to have them at seating height. 

The tomatoes are on their last legs so will pull them down this week. I have collected so many of them which has surprised me as all were volunteer and I just transplanted them to the frame. Rouge De Marmande and a couple of large cherry ones. I think the weather was on my side as the Rouge De Marmande ones prefer a cooler weather, and they were started late winter. 

Anyway, we have had a plethora of them over the weeks, and these are a few of the basket loads over the month, on top of what I picked fresh for lunches.


Our son was impressed with them he sent a photo to the family Whatsapp, from ones he took home as well.

 Of course we couldn't eat them all, so I made some spicy Salsa, and Spaghetti Sauce Base, just a few bottles at a time.


All together 8 pint jars of  what I call Salsa, which can be cooked with meatballs of sausages or eaten as a dip, and  3 small ones, 3 pint jars of Spaghetti Sauce, is what I have preserved plus the multitudes we are still eating. Now I am growing the larger cherry ones as they don't encourage the fruit fly as the skins are firmer.

  I recently, still covered the ones we planted earlier that I was experimenting with as bush tomatos I mentioned in September. 

I don't know if I would plant these again, maybe in a hanging basket as they were a bit wild, but I have had to trim back due to the hail and then put the net over as it happen to be covering the cleaned brocolli bed behind. The broccoli bed will become my new carrot bed, eventually, at the moment it is holding a bin full of cow manure. 

Last of the carrots 


 Current carrot beds

Front Garden
Back Garden just started and fightening birds plus growing Northeaster beans.

 Speaking of beans I cleaned up the two bean beds with the unusual dried bean colours, I planted 2 months ago, and replanted a new lot in each and will also let them go to seed. Very pleased with them though. 

Too Pretty to Eat.

 Garden is doing well and I am working in it every day. Cucumbers have started to grow, along with eggplant, lettuces are self seeding everywhere, tomatoes all over the place, picking blueberries and rhubarb. Mizuna,rocket,silverbeet,basil and beetroot all growing so all in all we will be ok for another few months. 

Butternut pumpkin vines
Letting the Red Lettuce go to seed as I love the colour.


Coreopsis

That's all for this week, stay safe,
 
 
Till Next Time.




 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting it really makes my day.