Pages

Sunday, November 26, 2017

Widgets

Roses, Garlic and Onions

This year has been very interesting weather wise. I say this because some plants have been outstanding. The roses comes to mind first. Whether we had a cold winter more than normal or the cooler summer we have had  recently with all our rain, my roses have been outstanding.

My favorite one is the Pierre de Ronsard. This is a patio climber being a small climber suitable for a pole or small trellis or archway.

Beautiful in a vase

Kept on flowering and was so lovely to look at.
The neighbours even commented on it.

This  next rose is on a tall standard and one I thought was dying but it has come good. Won't prune it this year, hoping to keep the long stems and they will produce side shoots.

Red Standard

White  climbing Iceberg
Large Red Rose
The above rose I transplanted and thought I had killed it, and it also has come good. Only one flower so far.

Last of Sweet peas and the unusual Eucomis.
High Scent Sweet Pea
Eucomis Lily
The Garlic in previous years has been a bit dodgy. I plant the cloves but then some grow but produce fairly small cloves making it difficult to use. This year was very surprised at the size once I dug them up.
Onions  need a cold winter, and 30 degrees latitude is maximum for growing onions which we are on so they are difficult to have large bulbs, in our area. I find white and red though much easier to bulb out. Perennial Leeks which I have growing, are wonderful and I am always pleased with them. Really I should devote more space to them and not bother buying or growing the others. 

Once I picked all this I left them in the Glasshouse to dry out completely, this makes sure they store longer and not rot. 



Picked Garlic and Onions,

Very pleased with the garlic.

This seems a very short blog today after all my long ones with traveling. Quite a bit to catch up with my garden and the community garden over the next few weeks. So stay tuned.

Till Next Time.


7 comments:

  1. your roses are gorgeous!
    thanx for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those garlic bulbs do look like a good size. Once dry how long can you store them? I have just purchased three bulbs from which were grown organically and would like them to last a while.
    Your roses look so healthy too.
    Kylie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kylie, They should store long term. I have a small pottery garlic pot and seem to do well in that. Looking at dehydrating them also, just have to check it out.

      Delete
  3. Those roses are beautiful
    Once I tried growing garlic but it was not successful. .

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some years are better than others with vegetables, Nil. Broccoli was awful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those Pierre de Ronsard Roses look gorgeous. Do you have any of your favourite 'Queen Elizabeth' roses?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting it really makes my day.