Pages

Sunday, September 19, 2021

Widgets

Lemon Powder, Planting Leeks, & Root Vegetables.

This week  I have been attending a virtual Organizing HQ Seminar. Put together with over 70 women doing hour long talks over 5 days. It was free although you can purchase the lot to have them forever, and only up for 24 hrs. each days worth.

It is the 2nd. year I have attended this and enjoyed listening to all the various talks all week. Everything for decluttering, working cleaning schedules, routines, menus, frugal buying and repurposing, finance, health, mindset, minimalism, organizing projects, and decorating. It is amazing what stay at home mums build their new careers on via the internet.

Listening while doing my own cleaning and decluttering has made the hours go quickly, so I feel this week has flown by.

Ready for the op shop and growing bigger every day.

The lemons on the tree were starting to fall off as well, so I picked them all, made lemon butter, but found some interesting preserving information on powders with dehydrated fruit and vegetables. As I had the lemons, worked on lemon powder.


Peeling the skins with a peeler makes them thin, so spread them out on my trays, and dehydrated to crispy. All those lemons and it breaks down to a miniscule amount. These then went into my small blender and Voila lemon powder. Lemon you can use in a cake batter, icing, cheesecake, on chicken, etc to give a lemon flavour, it is strong. Tomato powder,  as in using puree.

Found a jar of dried tomatoes so experimented with them.

I try and spend an hour or more a day in the garden, at the moment, but by 10am it is too hot for me, so making an effort to get up in time to have breaky, wake up and get out there. This week I planted carrot seeds and beetroot. The trick is to keep the beds wet so I give them a light water morning and afternoon. I found the pigeons in the beetroot bed hunting seeds so had to cover them. This is new for me and wondering if nature is being effected at all. We have had no rain for months, or are they being lazy haha.

Beetroot with climbing Northeaster bean seeds on the end.

Left the sweet pea for shade, tiny carrot seeds  need a bit more care from drying out.  Northeaster beans on this end too.

This mornings effort I started on transplanting the baby perpetual leeks. There were lots of smaller plants ready but the first big one, it's babies hadn't detached, so may cut the root off and plant that, babies and all.

Digging this lot up

Notice LHS babies compared to bigger leek ones, haven't separated

Babies that need to be planted
I had to rescue a pot of garlic chive, it had become so overcrowded they were struggling, even pulling it apart was a nightmare. I soaked in water, the ones that were for planting and will find another pot and maybe plant some in with the leeks. They should take off with plenty of water and good soil.

Garlic Chives

I started on the new leek bed but will leave it till tomorrow to actually do some planting. The beetroot is ready for picking, which I will do as needed. Made a beetroot, pumpkin, feta, chickpea salad this week, was extra yummy with just pulled beetroot and smoked salmon.

New leek bed to be.

No embroidery for two weeks as it is school holidays, but I am putting in the next photo for our leader as I kept some seeds for her. 

Red Nasturtiums

 Enjoy the holidays, and stay safe.

Till Next Time.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting it really makes my day.