Pages

Sunday, January 26, 2020

Widgets

Potato Digging and Surviving Summer.

As far as I was concerned another hot week here, so air conditioning was in order. I did end up at the dentist 3 times though, did a bit of shopping, visit to mum's as usual, more sewing dolls of course and watching a bit of the Australian Tennis  Competition. Not a terribly exciting week.
 
My helper Einstein.

Finally dug up the rest of the potatoes, along with Einstein's help. He never leaves me alone, if I go to the kitchen he follows, back to the couch, into the garden, sweep the floor, he follows. A couple of times I have tripped on him, which worries me. Anyway early one morning, dug up all the potatoes left or emptied the pots. Below were from the front. I was a bit disappointed with the results, but they were from ones that started in a drawer, combined with the unusual weather as well.
 

The rest were from the back about 6 large pots.


These had lots of tiny ones, but so far have had two meals from them and 2 more at least to go. Big ones still left. They were originally from seed potatoes, but went to flower very quickly, again I blame the weird weather and smoke haze, we had for weeks.

Originally I was going to bottle them, and decided to do a survey on one of the Home preserving forums I belong to. Some liked them "canned" as you have to pressure cook them, others bought ready made tinned ones from supermarkets, and others hated the taste, and freezing as mashed or lightly fried as chips was better. Home made out did commercial tinned ones. In the end didn't do either as so hot, couldn't bear the thought of standing peeling, or blanching what ever method I chose etc. I can't explain why, as I am not doing a great deal physically but feel worn out all the time. Ha Ha can I blame the weather again?

There was a wild wind storm this past week which knocked the net around over the last of the tomato bushes. I picked the final lot of them yesterday so now will clean all of this up.
 
Netting ripped and blown about, squash gone berserk.

 In the meantime the capsicums, silver beet ,eggplant and Bok Choy are surviving well.

Capsicum
Silverbeet and Eggplant
Bok Choy ready for picking.

The tomato I pruned a couple of weeks ago has re grown well  with tomatoes growing, which I will need to cover against fruit fly. In Coles this week tomatoes were $4.50 kg. so worth saving.
The carrot and beetroot seedling  experiment didn't do well. The water dried up a couple of times, and as it is a week today have decided to throw out, in the garden just in case, and start again. This time I will try sprouting on paper in a bag, and hopefully when sprouted still get the seeds into some cornflour gel.

Tomato regrowing.

The trades person to tidy up our backyard came as promised but in the end decided it was all too much work, especially with limited access to a machine.He did suggest a name for a plumber in order to put an inflatable tank in the pool and then cover it to grass over, and to just get a concreter in, to cover pavings and all, which means raising up the brick edging another layer to maintain the height we have all ready.

He happened to be an inspector  for house sales and pointed out a lot of retaining wall problems with land settling. I don't think John agreed, but this is advice he would give a client to lower house costs.
I got the impression though he didn't want to fix any of it anyway, as just too hard. More of a business that has great access, and basic areas where he could push dirt around. We do need to get it to a saleable condition though, whether we sell or not. I don't think constantly spraying weeds every 2 weeks with a vinegar mix is the way to go, and roundup is just pure poison.

Till Next Time.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting it really makes my day.