Pages

Sunday, May 5, 2019

Widgets

Pre-Arranging a Funeral

As I sit down every Sunday to blog about my week, I check the photos I took, if any and think about what I did in the last 7 days. The usual things like gardening most mornings, embroidery class on Monday, and my new Choir class on Thursdays but the rest of the week seems to have been filled with a lot of medical stuff. Optometrist for new glasses for me, and to get mum's fixed, the infusion for my RA medicine at the Hospital, last of the root canal treatment at the endodontist, attending a patient care meeting with mum's carers, and then of course arranging a funeral.

Visiting Funeral Parlours is not something I am used too but as a result of our meeting the question came up, should something happen, where was mum going? Considering mum now doesn't even recognise either my sister or I, and that she has lost a lot of weight lately, and had quite a few falls, thought this was a good idea, but not something I ever considered pre-arranging, but it makes sense.

This weeks roses and a bite mark from native bees.

 The thing is with nursing homes is they need to ring said Funeral Parlour and arrange straight away when these things  happen. I have all the paper work and you forget you have to find information on birth, parents, marriage,and  children details, to fill them in. I should remember having chased down many family members on Ancestry.com. Luckily I just called in while filling in time waiting for the endodontist  to arrive. He flys in every Thursday and the plane was an hour late.

 Jan and I have a meeting with the funeral director, in 2 weeks, and we am going to arrange a very small private affair considering only my eldest son, DIL, and Jan's 2 girls will most likely come, and I think a nice lunch in memory would be lovely. The rest have to fly in from Sydney/Melbourne and
Mum wouldn't have thought it necessary. We shall see.

Oat  and Sultana Biscuits

It has been raining most of the week off and on, real autumnal weather, with some lovely sunny hours between, and yesterday I decided to make some biscuits, a boiled  fruit cake and a loaf of bread made with Spelt flour. Took me all morning. The biscuits are delicious but also was checking them for the freezer, and pleased to say they froze really well. When we go camping this is the optimal way of taking some home cooked meals or biscuits with us.

Pinched one of my tins from the Arnotts collection to put it in.

The loaf of bread is quite dense, being spelt flour the gluten is not the equivalent of todays' modern wheat, but much better for you. My theory is if you can toast it it is ok, and I had toast for breakfast this morning with my home made Rosella jam. It worked fine.

Spelt Loaf on a baking stone.

The weather is getting cooler at night in this part of the world, and I am now preparing for our first fire in the Nectra. The fact that I am picking pumpkins also, tells me it is getting closer. My real love in winter is sitting by the fire.

Till Next Time

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting it really makes my day.