Pages

Sunday, August 12, 2018

Widgets

The Back Garden- Aug. 2018

NSW this week was declared all in drought. What a scary thing to  look forward to with summer around the corner. We haven't had rain for weeks, and it has been quite chilly early morning and night and I am still lighting the fire.

With Europe hitting some over 40C heat, it is daunting what our heat will be, and if the  bush fires will be bad.  I am purposely not using our tank water in case we get hose bans.

 There have been a few frosts at the Community Garden and I don't think so here due to the protection of the buildings but the cold weather has certainly suited the Peachcot this year. I wandered down this week and was amazed how many flowers were on it, and bees thank goodness.


Peachcot blossom.

It is not a huge tree and I do keep it low so looking forward to some decent fruit for once this year. Must have known I was threatening it to come out.

Peachcot


The Mulberry has started to fruit and the Nectarine is still thinking.
Meanwhile on the bank the azalea is giving a brilliant display, despite ignoring it for most of the year. The bank garden still needs a lot of work it is basically all clay on a slope.
With all the azealas blooming, it proves to me that here, Spring actually starts 1st.August as for years it was always 1st.September.

Azealea

Pink Lady Sweet peas I mentioned last week are really giving off flowers and I pick them twice a week. The smell in the house is amazing.

Pink Lady Sweet Peas

Meanwhile the Eggplant a hangover from last year has been going mad. It should have died but the  cold didn't affect it as protected and warm enough and so far has produced 5 big eggplants, and lots of flowers now. Normally I wouldn't even bother with starting them till September at least.


The potatoes I planted out 10 days ago have really shot up and found myself covering them this week. I purchased 3 lots of seed potatoes Sebago, Otway, Dutch Cream and 2 lots are here. I have another lot of pots 6 in all not quite up but the trouble is I have forgotten which potatoes went where, and there is only one or two per pot ooops.

Mystery Potatoes

Certified Seed Potato Autumn Collection 2This is what they will look like.

Snow peas

Snow peas are just about finished and will pull down soon. The string and bicycle wheel works really well.  Not sure what to replace it with. May try some summer cabbages, will need to research this, as this winter I have picked 4, and quite large. Gave them away also because from the community garden I am bringing home 2 kg. cabbages. We seem to have it continually.

Back carrot bed thriving

Garlic bed with golden shallots at the back.

Pelagonium I bought years ago in Victoria, always blooming

Beetroot Bed nearly all gone

The was my Aunty Betts white geranium but it has a pink tinge. Cross Pollination maybe?
It has been quite productive in this little area, but I really need to work the bank and the chicken pen area. I keep thinking we are going away and putting off getting new ones, but it has been 9 months now, will start keeping an eye out for some pullets.
Next week I will show you the front garden. The new beds are finished but the ground is being worked on at the moment. John has shifted so much dirt and clay to make everything level. Very pleased though with it.

Till next time.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting it really makes my day.