Pages

Sunday, May 6, 2018

Widgets

Autumn Has Finally Arrived.

This one is Carrots, opposite bed is 2 types of  Beetroot
New Mandarin
Another week  has gone and can you believe we are in May already. The weather is definitely cooler, and of course we have had a little bit of rain. My thoughts now are turning to firewood and kindling. Traditionally when we had our oil burning AGA we would light it from Mothers Day to Fathers Day, and with Mother's Day coming up next weekend, I am thinking it will be about right to start the fire. Well my Nectre Bakers oven. Nothing lovelier than sitting next to a fire on a cold winters night.

Butcher Bird Paying me a Visit at Morning Tea Time
While doing all the travelling back and for the Sydney and Gold Coast I started knitting a wool cardigan. I have knitted this before in 10 ply according to the pattern, but was too big and gave it too my daughter who loved it. So several years later finally knitting for me, one in 8 ply this time, wool from Bendigo Woollen Mills who had a sale recently.


I have been doing a lot of weeding in the back garden, now that it is cooler, and planted beetroot and carrots according to the moon planting. Pulled down one arch of beans and planted sweet pea seedlings.


I have also made a big decision to cut down the 12 year old apple trees. The first few years were good but now I hardly get enough apples to warrant pruning and bagging the apples against fruit fly. Usually small as well.

Apple Trees to come down.

They are a low chill variety and it is such a shame to do it, but in their place I have a Mandarin and an Orange on small rootstock. So across this section will be the Mandarin, Orange, Lime and Lemon.


Lemon and Lime next to apples

I still haven't decided about getting new chickens. Because we are on a hill it is quite a step and stair walk down to the bottom. 4 levels in fact, some days it is a real drag, but I do love chickens. Feed also is expensive and I  jokingly think sometimes the eggs work out a $1 each when they don't lay. Plus getting the neighbours to look after them I feel guilty.

Pumpkin rambling in the pond near the chicken coop

Pumpkin rambling in the front all over the drive and heading up.
Today at the garden our son bought his ride on mower and I had a go of driving it around. Not as easy as I thought going in a circle. Some rough bumpy patches, but oh so quick to get rid of the grass. We shall have to work on getting a grant to buy one. Plus a normal mower as well.

It was our monthly meeting also today and the Bush Tucker Garden is about to come to fruition. The trees have been ordered and Rotary will be planting them. Lots of holes to get ready. More trees for the Orchard also ordered. Plum, Nectarine, Peach, all bare rooted for June, and a  Mulberry to go next to the fig which is still to be planted. It is all happening so fast, hard to keep up with it all.


So in closing had to show you this that I found, while watering never seen one before. Must keep the seeds lol.

Purple Capsicum from my back Garden.

Ordering Pizza tonight too tired to cook. Have a great week everyone.


Till Next Time.




2 comments:

  1. Oh wow, a purple Capsicum! I've never seen one before either. That Butcher Bird is beautiful, such a wonderful photo. You look fantastic on your lawn mower :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting it really makes my day.