Pages

Sunday, October 16, 2022

Widgets

Breaks Over - Spring Flowers and Veg Roundup.

How quick the time has gone after my 2nd. break,  and I have been really busy in my time off. First up  Blogger finally closed down its email service and I have researched a new site for those who wanted reminders via email. I have transferred the email file direct from Blogger to MailChimp and fingers crossed that it is all back on track. Thank you Miss J for pointing that out.

It is such a shame though that Victoria is now going through massive flooding, and I know in this area home owners are still trying to get their lives back together after NSW floods earlier.  

Two weeks to go before we are off to Lord Howe Island, and the weather has been going my way for once with the vegetable garden and the flowers have been blooming.

Potato bed, has been very productive, Planted lettuce in the end where I started to dig them up.

 Yesterday I picked potatoes, beans, beetroot, radish, celery, carrots, leeks and cherry tomatoes, and a few strawberries. I have also new seedlings coming up of lettuce, rocket, tomatoes, cucumber, and zucchini.

Red Pontiac and White Dutch Cream

Due to the  fact our blue tongue lizard loves strawberries I have had to cover the blueberry/strawberry bed with net. I have decided to give up growing strawberries, will leave these here to do their thing but all the rest I am digging up. Easier to just buy a frozen pack for $4.

The celery has been appearing all over the place, I have no idea why, must have gone to seed last year. It is a great salad ingredient freshly picked. It will out produce what we eat though, and I am looking into freezing some for soups next winter. Not a lot just for the first cold spell, as it likes cool weather growing and hopefully do just as well in 2023. I really should be juicing it.

The last of the cabbages was also picked this morning and going to make a chicken and cabbage dish for tonight, with some beans and leeks. They do really well in this area, but using up 6 cabbages was an effort, I gave two to my DIL.

Newly weeded bean garden, to try and get things in order before we go, and will be planting more beans now that the weather is warming up. I have lost a few rotting with our rain.

New seedlings of lettuce, rocket, basil and marigolds for colour.

Out the back the lemons are just about all off the tree, the wind we have been having, knocked a lot off. Unfortunately they have also rotted a bit quick for me,  but I have been making iceblocks for putting in bottles of water, and freezing some for cordial there is still a lot frozen, left over from last year's crop. I wish I could freeze lemon butter, that would help, but it separates.

The 3rd. carrot bed is looking good, and I had better start pulling the first one up and freeze them. Obviously they are doing well with all the rain we have had, although can't complain about it this week.

Front is bed  is no 3 carrots, back is the first one. The second one is out in  front garden.

Tlhe sweet peas have been wonderful, lots of bunches sent off to the Community Garden. I have thinned it in order to get some seeds for next year.

 There is a 2nd lot that self seeded in one of the beds I will keep for a few weeks. Only two plants would you believe.

 

 Here is a quick round up of all the flowers in bloom now.

 






Decluttering has been going well and 11 boxes went off to three op shops. It is getting really hard to donate stuff, and I just joined a free giveway Facebook page to see if that might work.

  Thank you all for hanging in there with me, hope everyone is well.



Till Next Time. 








No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting it really makes my day.