Pages

Sunday, May 19, 2019

Widgets

Autumn Harvest - Cabbages to Chow Mein

Underneath the net are 5 cabbages, 2 Vertus, which are the ones with a rough crinkly leaf, and 3 Greyhound. The Greyhound are the ones I picked.

Netted cabbage bed.
Greyhound Cabbages on show, 2 weeks before picking.

Last year I dehydrated some cabbage and it worked out great. Love adding it to crock pot meals, as it helps absorb the liquid. With this lot I made Chow Mein, with mince,onion,chicken noodle soup pack, teaspoon of curry powder and the cabbage.

Picking stage, few bugs attacking now.
This one weighed a kilo.

 I wanted to freeze a few meals, and this one is so easy and tastes the same after heating it up with a bit of water in the pot.

Nice and clean inside.

 Chow mein is a pretty common meal in my family, been around for years but should anyone want the recipe just ask, or google it. It is a great use of cabbage for those who don't like it. 

 

I managed to freeze 3 meals and we ate one that night. It has been a bit of a cooking week, as also did some more oat biscuits, this time with dried apricots, instead of sultanas and another boiled fruit cake, to use up the rest of the fruit mince.

Last Monday a nice surprise from our daughter in America arrived  for Mothers day.




So just in case she didn't get my message, here they are, and still going strong today. The buds  of the Lillies are opening and smelling the house out. Turned out to be pink.


My sister and I finalized Mum's pre arranged funeral, and I feel so much better to have it done. When the time comes it will be so much easier, than having to do it at the time. For those who don't know one basic plan simple wood coffin, (cardboard is more ) for 10 people and celebrant is $8,500.00, a lot of money, which fortunatly my father had saved enough to cover it. An eye opener though for pre planning for John and I, which is still an expected 20 years or more away, goodness knows how much a funeral then is.

That's it for this week, till next time.





1 comment:

  1. Am catching up with your blog Chris, and had to comment on this: I also love Chow Mein! My first MIL introduced me to it, and I have made it countless times since. I do tend to forget about it for a few months though, until I see something like this that sparks the memory! Must do it next week, I've got some cabbage that needs to be used up :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting it really makes my day.