Pages

Sunday, August 14, 2022

Widgets

Take Back Your House

I started a course earlier in the year called "Take Back Your House". It is not a do this "thing'" week one or even every month but more of a thinking course, with lots of advice. Three You tubers I have followed for years, worked together to combine their knowledge of organization and decluttering to produce it, Minimalist Mum, A slob Comes Clean, and Clutterbug should you be interested.

Several things have finally clicked which were, What is your Clutter Threshold, The Container Concept
and Your Fantasy Self. 
A Clutter Threshold is how much junk and stuff on flat surfaces and in drawers can you stand till suddenly you have to deal with it, which takes forever and depressing.
 
Hanging basket on verandah just starting to flower.

The Container Concept is when the container is full that's it. No 2nd. container choose what fits and donate the rest. A Container is a drawer, a wardrobe, a pencil box, or a shoe cupboard, you get the picture. eg. If your clothes don't fit in one wardrobe and bedroom drawers, maybe you have too much.
Although I don't go the way of Minimal Mum with one cup, one glass, a bowl, a plate and a set of cutlery, per person with a "Guest Box" with a few extras packed in a cupboard, it is worth thinking just how many of these things, whether its kitchen gadgets, bathroom or bedroom linen, mugs, cups and dinner sets or cutlery you have or kept  for those dinner parties you never have, crowded in to your containers.
 
First flower of my new roses.
 
Your Fantasy Self. This is a big one for me because I love craft, and it takes up so much space. I can never have my craft room looking nice, plus I spread it around the house so I realised that I am not going to be making jewellery, of porcelain dolls anymore. Out it all goes.
  • That "The Country Look" is probably not coming back in style so it is time to get rid of lots of craft magazines from the 90"s of Handmade, Homespun and Country Threads.
  • I never cook from a cookbook anymore, as easier to look up the internet.
  • I knew a lot about gardening and do not need all my books for that either.
  • Decorating for Christmas has become a chore, even though I used to love it, but John couldn't care one way or the other, so will declutter and sell off.
My Fantasy Self is starting to get real!

New White Azalea for the side garden.

John has been really sick with a heavy cold this week and wouldn't stay in bed so inevertably I was going to catch it despite him wearing a mask when near me, and being on the computer all day and night, but as I had to use the washing machine in the same room Office/Laundry, and he used the kitchen etc. germs obviously were on surfaces, so I now have a cold and surviving on Panadol. 
It has given me the opportunity to go through my magazines one by one and pull out anything of interest that I may do, but at least it is one folder and not take up a lot of space on the bookshelf. So boxes have been packed for donation.


I put together a 3 tier trolley from Kmart and will put all my craft I am currently working on in that rather than leaving bits and pieces everywhere, and wheel it around to where I need it.
 
Next to the washing machine is a 2 section modular unit I put together yesterday, to corral all the bits and pieces that seem to clutter on the bench my computer also sits on. Soap,sprays, suncreams, etc.

Current Veges growing.

The dining room table is still full of stuff while we decide what to do with the floor in order to get the cupboards locked in, but it has been like that so long now I don't really think about or miss what is there, so I may keep a few for decoration but 90% of it will be packed up. 
 
I have made new daily and zone lists to tick off , set up my planner for the next 6 months and ready to go again.
 
It is a work in progress but I am getting there, and loving this course. My Grandma's advice was always a place for everything and everything in its place, I just wish it had stayed that way.
 
 
 
Till Next Time.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting it really makes my day.