Pages

Sunday, January 2, 2022

Widgets

A New Verandah to Welcome 2022

 Hands up those who are glad 2021 has gone? What an amazing year of lock downs and staying at home. Not that I minded, always, always plenty of things to do here. We actually accomplished a lot, between John and I, being self sufficient and DIY'ers, and having a house we built 40 years old now, but a new year means a new clean slate.

I have started my new planner, downloaded a daily declutter monthly pages, I have been doing for years. Put what little Christmas decorations away, and said farewell to all the family, washed all the sheets and towels, and now resting, before I do any major physical work. I am tired and both RA and my knees hurt, which just shows, I have done too much lately. 

27th.Dec was our usual birthday party of our youngest son, down at the creek. Adults played darts and the children shuttlecock and swimming of course. This celebration covers all of our birthdays, and an annual event.

The most important thing was our 3 boys plus our eldest daughter and two DIL's all helped renew the back verandah flooring. Even the children pulled screws out of the old floor boards. 

The lovely men in my family

The verandah is 17 metres long roughly and each grey board is 5.4 metres and very heavy

Everyone joined in. I cooked, morning teas, lunch, dinner on first day 16 mouths to feed, and this was after the cocktail party and Christmas Day.

Pulling old screws out of wood boards was difficult in some places.

Next day only the adults arrived minus one who looked after all the children at home.

Cutting up old wood to take to the dump

Couldn't use any of the boards for fire wood as too much paint on them. From memory at least 3 colours. Some of it was kept to replace a few dodgy boards on the side and front. These two areas don't get too much rain like the back did.

Day 3 everyone left for Sydney and the rest of us had a much needed rest day. On Day 4 the eldest came over and finished off the last bit. Very fiddly and the hardest part. Both were exhausted by the end of the day, it was hot and sunny, and a lot of work for only two of them. 

The red band is the side verandah, this and the front will be painted dark grey to match.

It has been a long journey, painting the roof first years ago, putting in the wire next, repainting the poles and hand rail, and finally these massive eko boards.


I took the last two today, and it has been raining. Nice to know I will not have to paint them and the rain will not rot them either. Looks so clean, until you see the side verandah.

I have mentioned before that there is always something to do here. Haven't I???


                                    Happy New Year Everyone

 

Till Next Time.




 

 

 

 

 



1 comment:

  1. The new verandah boards look great! Wonderful to have family pitching in to help accomplish a job like this. Happy new year to you!
    MegXx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting it really makes my day.