Pages

Sunday, June 27, 2021

Widgets

Planting Seedlings, Seeds & 2nd. Prize.

I have spent a great deal of time weeding this week and noticed, baby tomatoes are coming up in my garden all over the place and I feel that we may have an early Spring. With this in mind I decided to start some seeds off, as it does take approximately one month to get them up and potted on ready. Some seeds like carrots will naturally go in the ground. 

I put several seeds in two or three spaces and will pot up when big enough. Parsley is hard to germinate so I bought a  plant which had so many in it divided it up for giving away or SCCG (community garden) can sell them.


Always one thing leads to another, so the glasshouse and wet table were cleaned out and made ready for the seeds. This then led to sorting out the seeds I have and getting them in to an organized way. I threw out a lot and sent some into the Community Garden to use. I had way, way too many different kinds and  so needed to downsize to my favourites. Really how many different types of tomatoes or cucumbers does one need!!!

Putting seeds away in one of the 4 boxes I keep in the spare fridge.

I bought a Vanilla plant many years ago with my friend at a Diggers Club visit to Cloudhill, and it has been living in the glass house but got so big we had to move it. They grow up trees and attach themselves like an orchid so the only tree around that would do was the Frangipani. I hope it survives. 

Vanilla Orchid

 John roughly cleaned the garden in the back and filled it up with the cow manure/mushroom compost mix I like. I then this week planted beetroot, bok choy, and some flowers. All which I purchased as there are so many in the tubs not worth trying to grow sometimes. The broccoli planted two months ago are just ready to pick so watching them every day. The cabbages also and I have decided to preserve bottles of Chow Mein a favorite mince and cabbage dish using my Balls Pressure cooker. 8 cabbages all nearly ready, although I don't have to pick them all at once, as they will hang on a week or two. In fact I  may do quite a few meals like chilli con carne and shepherds pie mix, while I am at it. Not that mince is cheap anymore but it is so easy to heat up preserved meals, when tired. 

Yellow butter and green beans,Pak Choy and some beetroot seedlings.

More beetroot seedlings, Tatsoi and Leeks. Rhubarb in pot.

I divided my rhubarb into three pieces and a bit for a pot, and as I am also keeping an eye on the lemons, noticed that the leaves are lacking in magnesium so will have to find the epsom salts and water it in. There is a nasty looking ant nest on one of the branches I will have to deal with also. 

Notice the leaf veins and yellowing also Ants on top RHS

The Quilting group I now go to, is part of the  CWA so I attend the monthly meetings, as an extra something to do and was presented with a 2nd. prize win in the State Judging at Bega  for a Schwalm embroidery I did, which was judged first at a district handicraft Competition  and winning my section,earlier in the year.  Very pleased but also very surprised, with a bonus of a $15 cheque. 


Lastly for my email subscribers, Blogger has now dropped hosting this service, and from the end of the month will no longer function. I have looked at other ways for this, but it requires joining up to another host and with only a dozen email subscribers have decided to do it myself through an email account we don't use that is part of our internet provider. Up to now I have not known who is subscribing but have been given access to download the addresses, in order to provide a new service. 

Next weeks blog will be sent this way with a direct link. If it doesn't suit anyone in the future you can always join by the "Follow" on the side bar, but it requires you to have a Google Account in order to join. This is all new for me so we shall see what happens next week. 


Till Next Time



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting it really makes my day.