Pages

Sunday, January 31, 2021

Widgets

It is Going to be a Quilting Year.

 It has been another hot sticky week here, and I have found it very debilitating. It seems to have set off my arthritis, although telling that to a Dr. and they don't believe you. Pain also zaps your strength and makes you tired, so that is what my week has been like, mostly.

I did go to my first quilting group meeting last Tuesday, Australia Day at CWA rooms. It was air conditioned and the day ended up being 30C, so you can be lucky sometimes. I actually have to join CWA as it covers the insurance part, and was there 5 1/2 hrs. Mostly trying to get my brain around 1/4 inch seams and to pick up where I left off 20 years ago. 5 other women turned up which was nice for my first day, and I enjoyed it, and expect this Tuesday to see more ladies. I took in my old Husqvana and yesterday went to use it, light came on but the motor wouldn't turn over. I think the rough ride in the trolley must have upset a few things on the way out, as it was fine all day, or maybe the foot peddle has given up after 25 years.

Love my new machine.

 This now means I have to take my new one and which is much heavier, at least this week I was forced to start it up and get some basics down, via the book and DVD. It is lovely to sew on. Luckily when I got this UFO quilt out, most of it has been done. That was a nice surprise as I had completely forgotten. Each side has another 8 stars to put on, and 10 were already made.

Einstein checking it out, and I didn't bother ironing it.

 All I have to do now is make 6 stars then put them together and attach. The border between the stars and middle has more iron on flowers that will need buttonhole to match the middle.

It is a Lynn Anderson Angel design, and perfect for my angel Miss P for her birthday quillow in March.
 

   This is the book pattern, my quilt is much lighter in colour of course. 

 Australia Day also meant John received all his certificates and plaques as Volunteer of the year. This video is from NBN News if interested, taken at the Botanical Gardens..

NBN TV local news article

These are what he got, and such an Honour. Very proud of his achievement.

Nominee certificates and winner ones

 Monday this week and our Embroidery group goes back. We are doing some book covers this time, and between I will finish off my hardanger. Another rummage through the sewing room and I found some lace and fabric and books, ready to start, plus surprisingly the old basic pattern for crazy quilting type. I use dupion silk, beads,lace to make them. Here is a very old one to give you the idea. 

I am going to have to re think my small sewing and large craft room, now. I love making the dolls and doing the cards but it is no good to keep going if they don't sell. That means increasing my marketing and going on Instagram and Facebook, and do I want to do that is the question?

 I was also looking at the cupboard where all my beads are and thinking I should get rid of a lot of old stuff, there as well, to make use of the shelves, with the juggling I am going to have to do.

The quilting fabric is in computer paper boxes, in cupboards and I need to get it out so I know what I have. Even though I haven't physically done a lot this week my brain is working overtime. I just ordered some drawers for shoes. Just cheap  soft plastic ones, you put together, a group of 20. 4 will fit into the cube storage and will be perfect to hold fat quarters, although I will need to refold them as they are 5 inches square and I need 4 inches square. Then I can file them in the drawers to start with, plus the odd quilting gear, and maybe some thread.

10-20x-Clear-Drawer-Shoe-Storage-Box-Stackable-Container-Organizer-Cabinet-Rack

At the moment my new sewing machine is in the spare bedroom, but I need to get it downstairs so I am not spreading myself around all over the house. I can see a major craft room redesign happening this year, just hope I have the energy to match. It seems the best thing for large pieces of fabric is to fold it onto cardboard to put on shelves, or in my case cubes, so will check that out also if practical to stand on edge or just fold to a size and stack neatly. First thing first though is to do a plan and a To Do List.

The Holidays are over!  The year has begun!


Till Next Time.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting it really makes my day.