Pages

Sunday, October 18, 2020

Widgets

Pond Cleaning, Seed Collecting, & Embroidery

It is a strange muggy, overcast day today and rain expected but after yesterdays hour pulling weed out of the pond I am really tired. I was hoping to get some seedlings in, and may try this afternoon. The pond is very low on water and getting rather crowded with a weed that will quickly fill it, and cover the water lilies, so out it had to come. It was very awkward and the darn stuff is really heavy, once the roots take hold of the bottom mud. John helped thank goodness, but there is still more to go if we can get to it. 


Piles of it are around the pathways to dry out so we can bin it, some of it will go as mulch on the garden. 

Notice how the liner is now showing. I wish I could fill it in now as it is a lot of work no one wants to do, but also difficult with no access except the side path. 

Mini Maple has Overnight  produced its leaves

Dreamcatcher Rose out in bloom with its delicate rose buds. Moved it last week.

This morning I did manage to collect all the seeds hovering in the garden. If it rains I might lose them. They are Rocket,(Arugala) and Tatsoi, a small leaf spinach type, both a leafy salad vegetable. 

I pulled them from the above back round garden, from which also the sweet peas were pulled a couple of weeks ago. I may plant some flowers in this one, as there are cosmos and zinnias ready. Dedicating a whole bed to flowers is unusual for me but I am only planting what I need this year, all the basic salad vegetable, and beans. Not going to experiment with, or preserve anything, at all. Will try and get some carrot seeds in before it rains somewhere as well. 

Sweet peas left in the garden.

Red Cos lettuce from the front.

Tatsoi seeds

Rocket seeds.

I will package all these up in small plastic ziplocks I have especially for seeds. It is nice to know that another year of fresh seeds is sorted. Love how nature works. 

I am going to experiment with a zucchini by growing it up a pole. Most zucchini grow along the ground leaving behind a thick stem as they move forward, and taking a lot of space.  I read recently that if you catch it early and tie the stem up a pole it saves a lot of space. Apparently the leaves above the new fruit you keep but the ones before the fruit and therefore old you can pull off, which will save a lot of powdery mildew happening.  

Pretty sure the pole is big enough

From little things big things grow.

I finally finished my drawn thread embroidery cloth, which puts me in to a bit of a quandary as I do not want to do another cloth. They take so long, although in saying that the repetition of the stitches is soothing. I want to do small embroidery projects but having trouble deciding on what. There is a small blackwork project I started if I can work it out, or maybe some book covers.


Stay safe everyone, that's all for this week, 

 

Till Next Time 







 

1 comment:

  1. Your drawn thread embroidery work is very beautiful! Meg🤗

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting it really makes my day.