Pages

Sunday, June 9, 2019

Widgets

Autumn also means Pumpkins.


The pumpkins at this place usually start in a bank garden and from there grow downhill and end up all over the driveway. Some of the vine grows across the dividing fence between the bank and the front garden. This year was no exception and finally I have pruned it back and picked all the pumpkins. Some of the vine though has continued on, and low and behold produced yet another pumpkin.The cold weather though is just arriving having reached a minus figure this week, so whether this will continue we will have to see.


Meanwhile my grandson in Sydney has been proudly producing lots of pumpkins on a vine growing all over their back garden, not much else though just pumpkins. The secret for him was being taught how to self propagate by putting the male flower with the female. So our little farmer boy produced this impressive collection.


Jap Pumpkns

The little tickets means he weighed them all. Have no idea what this family of 5 will do with them all.  Give some away I suspect.

 Along with these dad also picked tumeric and ginger. So pleased some of my love of vegetable gardening has rubbed off.




My grandson informs me that his a much better and I will have to agree, then again a driveway is a bit uncommon to grow anything.


My meager basket full, probably means nothing much, but how many pumpkins does two people need. Gave one away already and made pumpkin soup with two of them which I froze. Leaves me 4
which I shall put into our spare fridge, they have a habit of rotting after a month or so if you are not careful.

Vine taking off again, between dividing fence.

This variety I haven't grown before, then again they could be a form of the jap. I started so many different types that were out of date, and coudn't even find a similiar picture. The long one is a long neck butternut one, grown on that dividing fence which means it was hanging, but definitely the correct name, and I will keep the seeds. So much more useable pumpkins as compared to the short stubby butternut ones. 

Just a quick one this week. Till next Time.




2 comments:

  1. Hi Chris,

    It was a great year for pumpkins this year, even in these parts. I personally didn't have success, but my parents grew heaps, mostly butternuts!

    The ginger and turmeric look fantastic. I am hoping to grow some here, the ginger is up and growing but I will need to be on the lookout for turmeric.

    xTania

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nil wrote, which got deleted by mistake.

    That’s a lot of pumpkins 🎃. It’s nice to have homegrown ones. Pumpkin soup is one of my favorite soups in winter. 😊

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting it really makes my day.