Pages

Sunday, March 10, 2019

Widgets

Autumn Bellingen Plant Fair

 What a difference there is between the two plant fairs that Bellingen has each year. The last one in Spring was full of sellers with plants that flower. This time it was more about Australian Natives.


We went really early just as they were opening at 8am. I was after another avocado to match the one we got last year at the fair, a Haas, which is an A variety and this time I wanted a B variety which are pretty hard to get. We had a choice of 10, where as the Haas ones there were about 20.
The community garden also needed one to match as well so we chose a Shepherd which is thin skinned and bears every year, as does the Haas so plenty of fruit for the members to share. For myself I chose a Shawill a thicker skin and bigger avocado according to the young lady showing us but only bears every 2nd. year, it was her favorite so I went with that. I mean how many avocados does one need per year really. This gives me 3 trees but if the front 10 year old one doesn't bear at all despite the other two I am turning it into a shrub!!!



On top of this John got a grant for native bees which are now up and doing their thing but $1200 of it was for plants. You don't realise how hard that is to spend on plants, making sure it is a worthwhile investment.

Native Bee Hive

To date there has been  Australian Natives, a few exotic into the mix for a change, some fertilizer, and still $600 to go. I think a break is need to recap on it all and working out where they go.

Our collection from the Autumn plant fair.

I personally think we need to make some wide border gardens along the fenceline like the ones at my mother's nursing home .




I did indulge in some nice Begonia Rex plants. I keep them in a shade corner and just love them. They can get really expensive but at $5 and $8 for the big one a bargain.


 I keep them in this area outside our side door. Needs a good autumn cleanup, and is on the to do list.


 I have been trying to grow a snail vine from seeds given to me by a friend, and saw one for sale $6 so grabbed it as well. The community garden needs one also. I think I will grow it out the front for all to see.

Snail Vine, such a pretty flower.

Last week we spent more $ on Community Garden Plants at Bunnings, mostly Australian again, after all it is for the Native bees, but a bit of diversity is needed as well. So got a Poinsettia tree for the shade area still very small and a couple of Myrtles.

White Myrtle.

Hopefully I will see the garden looking lovely with trees in a few years time.

I have just realised that this is my 200 post..... Wow who would have thought!!!
Till next time.

1 comment:

Thank you for commenting it really makes my day.