Pages

Sunday, April 26, 2020

Widgets

Broccoli & Sweet Potato Week

The hour a day gardening is certainly paying off. Things are starting to look a lot better. This week I planted the broccoli of which some seedlings, have finally come up. I planted them straight into the garden although still small, rather than into pots. Hopefully they will be all right. I also covered them with netting which now completes that bed, but also saves the drying out with sun and wind. The weather has been lovely.
 
Removed all the lettuce and added extra compost.

After

The Chinese cabbage Wombok is certainly doing well, after a couple of weeks.


While I was at it added in some rocket seedlings and also Chinese Celery. I like the soft leaves of the celery to add to soups and salads, but you have to keep on top of both these plants to keep the new growth young. I use old dog beds to cover up until they settle in to growing mode. Instead of planting a clump, like I usually do, divided each individual plant up, so that should be interesting seeing I had at least 8 plants of each. There is always the worm farm to feed with green leaf though.


The sweet potato grows at the back of my ornamental fence, and has certainly taken over. The actual potatoes aren't that big but I got a small basketfull while cleaning up most of it. Really I was just scraping  the growth off the top and off other plants, as I will let some of it regenerate to increase the size of the tubers.

 

This is the amount of greenery I got from it.


Amongst it all was the lovely purple/white chrysanthemums.


Looks a little bare now.
 
Sweet potato hiding under all of it.

Will leave a little growth to enlarge more tubers.

Some are small but will be ok to cook with.

Just near this area is the pumpkin vine on the trellis, so cut back a lot of the leaves so they ripen a bit quicker.


Finally also started to prune some of the roses. There are three right in the corner so got stuck in to them also. Our wheely bin is certainly stuffed full now.

Before


These are climbing ones.

I would love to plant some more flowers, but it will be a case of whether I want to go into Bunnings or not. Maybe get out some current marigold seeds and plant everywhere for a change, rather than just one garden.

 I had some sad news this week, my cousins wife A was killed in a quad bike accident. They have an alpaca farm in Heathcote Victoria, for over 20 years at least, so I find that hard to take, as it is something she would have done every day. My cousin R had a heart attack at the scene and was air lifted to hospital but has now recovered. The online funeral was yesterday, so I am glad I was able to "attend" even if a bit odd, I certainly couldn't have gone to Victoria for it, in normal circumstances, so have to say this online thing is a good solution, and perhaps should be more of it. It certainly helped me find peace with it all. The accident came up on my facebook link to my cousin, even though both of us are pretty quiet on there, but I wouldn't have known either, without it. They were celebrating their 50th wedding anniversary in May, and has all been a nasty shock to the family.



It is John's birthday Tuesday but don't think much will be happening for it. Hope everyone's week went well.

Till Next Time.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting it really makes my day.