Pages

Sunday, February 19, 2023

Widgets

Progress On The Garden Beds for Autumn

 I am finally starting to feel a bit better this week, and slowly we are getting into the garden beds. Autumn officially starts on the 21st. March.  John thankfully moved the mulch in the trailer, and got some premium compost and mushroom compost mix. Cow manure which I prefer wasn't available, so premium it is.


It takes a while to clean the beds, as nut grass is the main problem, so I started digging deep, turning over the soil, and pulling up the nuts, continually till moving on to the next bit. Next day John helped me. We can never get rid of them all but it certainly slows them down.

First bed to be filled and ready.

It also rained this last week, but eventually the first two beds were filled ready. Of course the Bush Turkeys had to check it out, digging it up again.

2nd. Bed Ready.

The little one in the front usually has flowers, but I am going to fill it with strawberries, as the ones in the path are reproducing. As I fix the beds I am pulling out all the strawberry plants, in the big beds, I am not dedicated enough to feed them and the lizards love them.

New Strawberry Bed, dug over once.

 This following bed was a little harder as still dealing with cherry tomatoes, and basil, which I cut back hard, and two eggplants on the end still producing.

The next bed is my main one still to do of course. I will also be moving around my planting just for a change. This last bed usually has climbing beans or snow peas but thinking of  transferring the frames.

 Currently I am working on the Blueberry Bed, pulling out the strawberries as they grow so high and covered everything.

Blueberry Bed

The Pink Ice Protea is starting to flower also, so sending off  five of them for today's market at the Community Garden. They are so lovely.

 The pruning it got last year has done it a world of good. Each long leaf though around the flower is new growth to make the tree bigger, this time it will be pruned to keep it in shape and manageable. Leaving the flowers on the tree will have to be controlled, by cutting back the growth.

 

The past two Saturdays  John has had two workshops, both were very successful, first on How to Sharpen your Tools, so got my spade, secateurs, maddock and pick all sharpened, and handles oiled in demonstration. What a difference that makes. 

The second yesterday was Hay Bail Gardening. The Next one in March I think is on Worm Farming. Before the Community Garden, none of this crossed his mind, so a credit to him for teaching it, as well as Native Bees, a very popular one.

Five subscribers/followers have left in the past month so THANK YOU for those still following, without someone to write too there is no point on doing it.



Till Next Time.




2 comments:

  1. I have to replace some Parsley in my garden bed with Rosemary. How do you replenish the "food' available in the soil for the plants for the next planting when dealing with garden beds? Are you still doing the newspaper and fish heads thing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If doing the whole bed a bag or 2 of good soil that has added organic fertiliser like Tomato soil mix, otherwise just a small bucket full mixed in before you plant. No fish heads the fisherman retired. Newspaper yes or cardboard before bark mulch, to stop the light on weeds. PS Rosemary can grow quite big and last for years.

      Delete

Thank you for commenting it really makes my day.