Pages

Sunday, October 6, 2019

Widgets

My New Online Shop

Yesterday Oct.5th, was my father's birthday, he would have been 91, and the significance of this day is I promised myself, I would open my online shop by then.Whether I was ready or not is another thing but if you don't make a day specific plan lots of things never get done and I have wanted to do this now for 6 years.


My dad Jack talking to me on the phone, my favorite picture.

Of course what I sell may not be what people want but card making is a thing I do and that's what I started with. The other love is Cloth Doll making, I have entered them, and judged them so it is a natural start. There are other crafts that may come about but this is the beginning.  Although I still have to make my first doll, time is still my enemy.



I have always sold my creations, usually with consignment stores that someone has opened, a real store and takes in all sorts of craft. Every town used to have them but they are also dying out and I suppose the online store we have now a days is the replacement. The downsides to this though is there are hundreds and hundreds of online stores. Most sell from a store based company in China, where they list the item and then when someone purchases it notify that base to send it out. No making or stocking anything just the go between. Takes weeks usually to get the item as well. This is called Dropshipping and you can make a lot of money.

A craft I made years ago. I may make them again,

 I chose to make my stuff and  go with the Australian Made It, rather than Etsy which is world wide but ever so big. Small little me will probably get lost in there, not to say I won't in Made it but there is a better chance of being noticed. You actually have to make your own, to join, no retail anything.

http://images.madeit.com.au/madeit/badges/visitmyshop1.gif

They have a neat little logo which is now live and appearing on the upper right hand side, top of this blog and  takes you straight to the store. So if  you my readers remember and pass this on, it will also be a great help. Getting the word out is the most difficult thing in this day and age. So much easy when there were real shops full of handmade gifts, that people passed by.


 Petit à Petit
 This name came about after much searching as it means little by little or bit by bit. A process of both crafts or any craft really. My Son in Law designed the logo for me and I have had business cards printed, and address labels, which are both still to arrive here. I now have an ABN, who knew for a hobby, but Paypal requires that  and Paypal is also required by Made it. Hmm the plot got thicker and thicker, and one big learning curve, which I keep saying did me good at my age. So a slow start but it can only go up ...hopefully.

 

Should I drop off the planet by the way,  Dolls and Cards are always easy to give away, dolls to children at hospitals, and free cards to any church group, but lets hope I sell a few.

Till Next Time.





2 comments:

  1. Your cards are very beautiful, Chris.
    Good luck with the online shop! I hope it will be a great success!

    ReplyDelete
  2. congratulations on getting your shop finally open!
    good luck with the sales too!
    thanx for sharing

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting it really makes my day.