Pages

Monday, December 4, 2017

Widgets

Digging up Potatoes

I have been digging up the potatoes that I planted in pots and I wrote about back in August  HERE . 
They have been absolutely delicious and although not huge I was happy with the quantity  that I got from only 2 or 3 seed potatoes that I planted, in each pot.

This was a month ago and some of the plants were still green, but had started to die back so I knew they were ready. John had to lift them as very heavy.

Getting ready.

The soil that is left after the potatoes was wonderful. As I was away my sister had been filling up the pots as the potatoes grew, with a chipped mixture from the branches after halving the size of our fruit trees, a huge pile.

All on the bottom

I find that potatoes in this sub tropical area don't really grow from higher up the stem, hence why we fill the pots up. They all tend to be at the bottom. If you grow potatoes would love to know where yours grow from. I still have 5 pots to go, so will be digging these up soon as all the green has now died off.


This is two pots worth.

The other thing that I  have been enjoying is my gladioli. Last year I planted bulbs but was away as usual when they flowered so not sure what happened if any flowers at all. As I was cleaning up I put all the bulbs in one area and have had lots of lovely flowers coming up. They are so beautiful on the long stems.

Back area even had a few. 


Love this Pink.

These apricot ones are from my Aunty Betty's Garden and seed everywhere. She died 3 years ago so just love them.


First week


2nd week

Since those two pickings I have had more white, a lovely yellow one and apricot. I shall certainly be keeping my eye our for more bulbs especially on sale.

Hasn't the year gone fast, December all ready, so I hope you are all on time with your festivity preparations. This year our 2nd son is hosting Christmas Day in his new house. I have decided to provide the non alcoholic Pina Coladas and Strawberry Daiquiris. So enjoyed them on our holiday have to have them again. I know our daughter will be pleased.


Till next time stay safe.





4 comments:

  1. Hello Chris, would you share the recipe for the Mocktails please? Regards Robyne from S.A.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Robyne, Pina Colada 2 cups pineapple juice to 1/2 cup coconut cream to 1 cup ice is your basic recipe. Work around that as you think with frozen pineapple chucks or tinned pineapple, juice and all. Fresh pineapple. The drink is like a slushy. Top with a pinapple piece or umbrella, even mint.

      Strawberry Daquiri. 30 mls lime juice or lemon if have too. 1 cup strawberries 1 cup ice, castor sugar 1 - 2 tspns depending on how sweet the strawberries are. Again try frozen strawberries and a bit less ice. you can water this down if gets too thick. Some add sprite or lemon soda to the mix as well. Children like that. Another slushy type drink with a tang.

      Coles is currently selling 2 x 500grm packs of frozen fruit for $7.00 which I find perfect for keeping in freezer when you need it. Tins of coconut creme also handy, as is tins of pineapple pieces. Lime juice comes in a bottle like lemon juice if you don't want to buy fresh everything.

      Delete
  2. Congratulations on your potatoes. Your sister did a great job looking after them too.
    The Gladioli flowers are beautiful especially the apricot ones from your Aunt Betty’s garden. That is lovely to have.
    Kylie

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting it really makes my day.