Pages

Friday, August 19, 2016

Widgets

Planting Gladioli

In the garden over Spring and Summer there are a few wild gladioli, that self seed all over the place. The colour is orange the name I haven't a clue. They were given to me by my  favourite Aunty Betty who has been gone now 3 years. Occasionally I see them in other gardens and have a bit of a chuckle.
Surprisingly, John came home with 3 packets of bulbs from the local supermarket. I hadn't planned a space for them so it was a bit of a quiz to know where to put them. I also read up on growing them as mostly the wild ones grow themselves.


They grow about 1 metre tall, and need a bit of a support, with good soil, and maybe a dose of seaweed solution at flowering time. I am hoping they will also be able to be dug up at the end of the season and replanted again the following Spring, having them healthy so that when the leaves die down all the nutrition goes into the bulb.


In the Front Garden..
 I found the spot and a bit of old wire mesh stuff and planted one packet. In two weeks time I will plant another one and then the final packet. This gives me a succession of flowers rather than all 20 at once. I am still weeding this area, hence the milk crate I sit on. The shells on top of the wire to stop poking my eye out are from Johns walks on the beach. Got the idea from a famous French Potager Garden.



The garden is amazing at the moment all the flowers are appearing slowly and looks a treat, Daffodils are appearing in all sorts of places and double jonquils, snowdrops, primula, pansy and alyssum.

Primula, Alyssum and Double Jonquils

When I planted the bulbs I didn't know which was which so just planted all over the place in groups so its a nice surprise seeing them come up, all mixed.

Veg and flowers Mixed

I am still pressure cleaning more path, and 2 days ago it blew a hole in the hose. John has fixed a bandage over it which is setting hard and hopefully I can finish the job off. Meanwhile as I weed the worst of it finding lots of lettuce self sown between the pavers.

They grow anywhere.

I am planting them all over the place and the last lot I have put into a shallow pot to start as a micro planter. I have 3 of these so will try all with lettuce of various varieties, over the coming weeks and have a bit of a succession salad.

Planted from the cracks in the pavers
The days as usual are just flying pass, and finding time to blog even harder.

Carrots Growing well from the Newspaper Strips.

Till next time, stay safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting it really makes my day.